About the Industry Plan
More than 10,000 Tasmanians work in the community services industry, accounting for nearly 4% of the State’s total workforce [UNSW State of the Sector Report 2016]. Although community service workers often fly under the radar in our towns and cities, we are everywhere—working to enrich the lives of Tasmanians who need us. The Tasmanian Government has provided funding for development of a comprehensive industry plan that will assist our sector to take control of its future in our State.
What will community services industry planning achieve?
Industry planning for the next 10 years will:
- Set a future Vision for community services in Tasmania
- Take account of economic, technological and social shifts that will impact service delivery in the future
- Move the current system towards a coordinated, person-centred experience of community services, and
- Provide a unifying, longer term plan to support the industry.
Who is involved in developing the plan?
TasCOSS is working in partnership with the Department of Communities Tasmania and the community sector to develop a 10-year plan for the industry.
What will planning include?
Industry planning will address the intersections, interdependencies and transition points across Tasmania’s various sectors. It will provide a “helicopter” view of the major trends and strategies that will impact on all sectors and guide planning for the future of community services.
Key priority areas for community services industry planning will include:
- Emphasising person centred services
- Emphasising place-based systems and services
- A focus on strengthening outcomes
- A focus on embedding evidence-based approaches
- Funding and contractual arrangements to support flexible, person-centred service delivery
- Ensuring we have the workforce of the future
- Potential information sharing provisions and digital technologies
- A focus on best practice regulatory frameworks
- Good governance and leadership, and
- Supporting organisational and industry readiness.
More About the Community Services Industry Plan