11 May 2021
The following may be used as direct quotes from Ms Adrienne Picone, CEO, TasCOSS:
- This budget provides welcome recognition that the health and wellbeing of our population underpins a healthy economy, not the other way round.
- In many ways, COVID-19 crystallised what is important in our lives, a healthy body and mind and a place to call home. To that end, it was pleasing to see the long overdue spending on aged care, disability, mental health and early childhood education and care. Moreover, a substantial investment in women’s safety and supporting services will go some way to creating a fairer and safer future for women.
- Disappointingly, this budget has failed to provide hope for the thousands of Tasmanians who are languishing on the public housing waiting list and struggling to get by on the Coalition’s paltry rate of income support.
- An investment in Tasmanians seeking work and social housing would have created jobs, provided economic stimulus, as well as given people the stability they need to fully participate in their community and the economy.
For more information or to arrange an interview with TasCOSS CEO Adrienne Picone:
- Cameron Allen, 0419 769 253 or via email.