- Policy Conversation: Lived Experience Engagement in the Community Services Industry
2 March 2022
12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
Australian of the Year and advocate for survivors of child sexual abuse, Grace Tame, recently said “history, lived experience, the whole truth, unedited, unsanitised, is our greatest learning resource. It is what informs social and structural change.”
The value of and critical need for lived experience participation and perspectives to inform the work we do in the community services industry has been acknowledged with increasing urgency in recent years. We cannot effectively support Tasmanian communities in the absence of their knowledge, expertise, values and needs.
But how do we engage communities’ lived experiences in ways that are ethical, impactful and just? Join us for our next Policy Conversation, in partnership with Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs Council (ATDC) Tasmania, where we will unpack this quandary which is facing many organisations.
About the Facilitators:
The Policy Conversation will unfold between two professionals who facilitate organisational engagement with two lived experience advocates who share their lived experiences to drive organisational change. This dialogue will shine a light on what exactly is needed to support organisations and lived experience advocates to engage in ways which are ethical, impactful and just.
- Dr Lucy Mercer-Mapstone, Stakeholder Engagement & Policy Officer, TasCOSS
- Greg Taylor, Lived Experience Participation Officer, ATDC Tasmania
- Kerrie Dare, TasCollab Community Voice Partner and ATDC Tasmania Lived Experience Advocate
- Nic McBride, Engender Equality Advocate for Change
TasCOSS Members & ATDC Tasmania Members: Free Admission
Details on how to join the Microsoft Teams session will be distributed closer to the date.
Registration closes 5pm, Friday 25 February 2022. For more information, please contact Dr Lucy Mercer-Mapstone, Stakeholder Engagement & Policy Officer, on (03) 6169 9511 or email Lucy.
Policy Conversations is a free series of events hosted by TasCOSS. Each event includes a briefing on a relevant issue, followed by facilitated discussion.
The Policy Conversations series aims to:
- Give TasCOSS and the industry an opportunity to share and discuss current state and federal policy issues; and
- Provide a forum to gather input for the industry’s advocacy work, such as submissions and lobbying.