Tasmanian Government Departmental Changes

The Premier has announced a raft of Tasmanian Government departmental changes which will impact community service organisations funded through the Department of Communities Tasmania.

The changes announced are as follows:

  • Functions relating to children and young people will be consolidated within the one Department of Education, Children and Young People.
  • Housing will become an independent statutory authority, reporting directly to the Minister for Housing.
  • The remaining divisions of the Department of Communities Tasmania will transition to the Department of State Growth and the Department of Premier and Cabinet, where those units best align with other functions and services.

As a result of the changes, the Department of Communities will therefore cease to exist as a separate entity. The changes will be phased in from 1 July 2022, in a staged approach to be completed by 30 September 2022, subject to the passage of legislation for a new Housing entity.

At the end of the day, we will measure the government on the outcomes it delivers for Tasmanians and how it supports those members of our community most in need.

There is a lot of work to do to support those Tasmanian on inadequate incomes, provide safe and affordable housing, improve our health and literacy standards, support our children and young people, and deal with rising cost of living pressures.

It is worth noting, the creation of Housing Tasmania as an independent statutory authority is encouraging and presents an opportunity for a renewed focus on delivering increased social and affordable housing stock and improved housing services.

Throughout COVID-19 the strength and value of our community services industry has been highlighted, and we look forward to continuing to work collaboratively with the public service throughout the Tasmanian State Service Review and progressing a number of important initiatives.

When we have more details to hand regarding the departmental changes, we will provide them to you. If you have any initial queries or concerns, I encourage you to contact your funding partner directly.