4 September 2021
1800 422 737 Press 1
The Young Carer Bursary supports young carers to continue their education or training. The programs offers 1,000 bursaries nationally of $3,000 per successful application.
Applications for 2022 are open until 30 September.
A young carer is someone under 25 years of age who is supporting someone with disability, mental ill health, chronic or terminal illness, is frail aged or has alcohol or other drug dependence. Tasmania has over 80,000 unpaid, informal carers or which 11.6% are under 25yo.
To apply, a young carer must be:
- Aged 12-25 for the entire time of the bursary (2022)
- Studying at high school, in training through an RTO, or up to and including their first undergraduate degree
- An Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Not receiving another scholarship
The bursary is paid in instalments of $1,500 and two payments of $750. The bursary can be spent on anything that helps the young carer to continue studying or training, which need not be just education-related expenses.
The application process is open from 16 August to 30 September.
Resources for young carers and young person-centred organisations are below:
- Read the YCB Information Pack for Young Carers available in 9 languages
- Listen to The Secret Life of Carers podcast featuring a young Kamilaroi carer
- Check out the Frequently Asked Questions that our team have created for the YCB
- Look at the social media kit and resources in the Organisation and Schools Information Pack
- Subscribe to our e-newsletter
Young carers can be supported to make their application through Carer Gateway here in Tassie. Call 1800 422 737 (and press 1) and ask to speak to the Young Carer Support Officer. The young carer will be supported to complete their application to give them the best chance of success.