1 March 2021
If you are experiencing rental hardship in the private rental market due to COVID-19, please contact Housing Connect 1800 800 588.
- People who have already received assistance can apply again if they are still in hardship.
- All private renters in Tasmania are eligible as there is no citizenship or permanent residency requirement for this assistance.
- Tenants in social housing are not eligible.
- If you cannot reach an agreement with your landlord, please contact the Office of the Residential Tenancy Commissioner 1300 654 499, or online at https://cbos.tas.gov.au/contact-us
Full details about support for renters are available via the Department of Communities website.
- Rent Relief for Landlords and Agents has also been extended until 31 March 2021.
- Click here to find out more about support available for landlords.
Further Information and Assistance
- For additional assistance for renters, please contact the Tenants’ Union of Tasmania.
- Further information, including a rent reduction agreement template is available from the Office of the Residential Tenancy Commissioner.
- Click here to view A Guide to the Residential Tenancy Commissioner.
Shelter Tasmania will maintain a watching brief on the ongoing impacts on tenants in the private rental market as these changes come into effect. We know the COVID-19 crisis is not over yet, and it remains vital that all Tasmanians maintain a safe and affordable home. We call on the State Government to closely monitor the impact of the end of the eviction moratorium and the lifting of the freezing on rents. For more COVID-19 support and information, go to sheltertas.org.au.