11 May 2018
- There were 1245 private rentals advertised in Tasmania on 24-25 March, 2018 – this is a 9 per cent drop since 2017 and a 38 per cent drop since 2014
- In the North West there was a 45 per cent drop on advertised properties since 2017
- In the South, there was a 10 per cent increase in advertised properties, but a significant drop in affordability
- No affordable private rentals in Tasmania for people on Youth Allowance
- A single adult earning a Newstart Allowance could only rent one affordable property in Tasmania
- Half of the low income households measured could not rent a property in the South
- A single parent with a child over eight earning a Newstart Allowance could rent 1 per cent of properties in Tasmania
Rental affordability, particularly in Hobart, has become dire.
On the weekend of 24-25 March this year, Anglicare’s annual Rental Affordability Snapshot found none of the advertised properties in the South were affordable for a range of low income Tasmanian individuals and families.