9 April 2020
The City of Hobart would like to invite you to participate in the first stage of the community engagement process for our Central Hobart Precincts Plan project. The City is seeking community and stakeholder feedback to identify key issues and opportunities for Central Hobart, in the context of projected growth in residents, students and increased economic activity in the Central Hobart study area. There is further information below regarding the specific engagement opportunities.
Hobart is growing. The purpose of the Central Hobart Precincts Plan is to guide future growth in a way that will strengthen what’s great about Hobart and to build on its position as a vibrant, liveable and connected city.
The study area covers 64 blocks bounded by Davey Street to the South, Burnett Street to the north, the Brooker Highway in the east and Molle and Harrington Streets to the west.
The Central Hobart Precincts Plan will:
- establish a shared vision and framework for the future growth of Central Hobart and identify a set of actions to deliver it;
- identify a suite of precincts across the study area and outline a vision for each of them ensuring the ongoing viability of Central Hobart as Tasmania’s key administrative and commercial activity centre;
- identify opportunities for increased residential densities and infrastructure as well as commercial and community services to support it; and
- identify the preferred urban form and scale of development for precincts based on a range of urban design, heritage, economic and social considerations.
The City of Hobart has compiled a Baseline Report and commissioned and an Economic, Demographic and Employment Study on the study area These two documents detail current conditions, issues and opportunities and include projections for future growth in the study area. The City is now seeking feedback from the community to identify key issues and opportunities for the Central Hobart study area. Feedback from this stage of engagement will inform a Discussion Paper which will be the focus of the next phase of community engagement.
Get involved and have your say in the following ways:
- Read the Project Fact Sheet, Baseline Report, and/or the Economic, Demographic and Employment Study.
- Complete the survey, open until Thursday 9 April 2020.
- Drop a pin on the study area map to submit an idea or opportunity
- RSVP to attend a community workshop on the following dates:
- Thursday 26 March, 5.30pm–7.30pm
- Saturday 28 March, 10.30am–12.30pm
Please note: RSVPs for the community workshops are essential (register here). Both workshops will be held at Hadley’s Orient Hotel, 34 Murray Street, Hobart, TAS, 7000. The City of Hobart has commissioned experienced consultants Engagement Plus to deliver the community workshops.