1 August 2020
From June 2020, all aged care assessment and delivery services now have access to free sign language and interpreting services to support older Australians who are deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing to access or engage with Federal Government funded aged care services.
Face-to-face sign language interpreting and video remote interpreting services are available to support clients to engage with:
- Aged Care System Navigators,
- My Aged Care,
- Regional Assessment Services,
- Aged Care Assessment Teams,
- Home Care Packages providers,
- Commonwealth Home Support Programme providers,
- Residential aged care service providers; and
- Other organisations involved in the provision of Federal Government funded aged care services.
Sign language services are available in Auslan, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages, American Sign Language, International Sign Language, and Signed English for deaf consumers or consumers who are hard of hearing, and tactile signing and hand over hand for deafblind consumers.
These new sign language interpreting services will support older Australians to better engage and fully participate in their aged care services.